IP Address

.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

MEW CHOO APOLOGISES FOR HER DEFEAT

KUALA LUMPUR (12 MAY 2010) – The expectations were high on Wong Mew Choo to deliver the morale boosting first point but the country’s top woman shuttler was left apologising for her poor show in her 9-21, 16-21 defeat to Indonesia’s No 2 Adriyanti Firdasari in her the first singles in the Uber Cup quarter-final.


“I am sorry, really sorry that I was a big let down,” said Mew Choo, who was expected to win Malaysia’s first point against the Indonesians.


After all the Ipoh lass had beaten Adriyanti in the team final at the Laos SEA Games in December enroute to Malaysia’s 3-1 win to win the gold medal.


“It was a below par performance from me. I was rather tensed. Nothing went right for me. Even when I fought back in the second set it was all in vain as my opponent controlled the match throughout.


“I had beaten her in the Laos SEA Games. But all that did not count today. Adriyanti is an attacking player and I was not able to counter her aggressive play.


At the end of the press conference, Mew Choo was overcome with emotions and simply threw herself to the ground before Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) sports psychologist Frederick Tan came to consoled her.


Adriyanti was pleased that she managed to beat Mew Choo in front of the fanatical home fans although the big Indonesian turnout also made their presence felt at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil.


“I had lost to Mew Choo several times before. It is nice feeling to beat her in front of her home fans. Mew Choo was able to read my game in the second set but I was able to check that. It is an important point for us in our quest to reach the semifinal,” said Adriyanti.

0 comments:

Post a Comment