IP Address

.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

SIMON READY TO END JINX

KUALA LUMPUR (MAY 13, 2010): Simon Santoso is ready to end his Thomas Cup jinx when Indonesia face Japan in tomorrow's Thomas Cup semifinals
In three previous attempts, the 24-year-old shuttler has never gone past the semi-final stage, yet, he believes 2010 could be the year he changes that.
"I have yet to lift the Thomas Cup and I'm determined to make it happen this year," said Simon, who made his debut at the 2004 Jakarta Thomas Cup.
"Even though Indonesia hosted the event in 2004 and 2008, I have yet to experience playing in the final. I hope to change that this year."
Simon may also take on a new role as the second singles player as there are doubts surrounding the fitness of Sony Dwi Kuncoro.
Having played third fiddle to Taufik Hidayat and Sony Dwi Kuncoro in all his campaigns, Simon suddenly finds himself thrust into the limelight as Sony has a bad back and made not play in Friday's semi-finals.
If Sony is not fielded, Simon will play either Sho Sasaki or Dieter Domke in the semi-finals and he said Indonesia can count on him to give them a point.
"My confidence is sky high right now so I don't mind facing anyone. In fact, I have been preparing myself to play as the second singles in some matches so it is no big deal," said the eligible bachelor.
"I have never played in a Thomas Cup final and this represents my best chance. I'm not underestimating anybody but apart from China, there rest of the field is quite even.
"I hope to continue my winning ways and the Indonesian fans need not worry about me. I have the confidence in my ability to deliver a point. Hopefully, it will be enough for us to win the tie."
Simon today played his role to perfection as he defeated Arvind Bhatt 21-8, 21 -10 at Putra Stadium to help Indonesia to a 3-0 win over India.
Taufik struggled against Kashyap Parupalli before winning 21-12, 10-21, 21-17, while Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan outplayed Sanave Thomas-Akshay Dewalkar 21- 16, 21-17.
Meanwhile, the Indonesian Uber Cup team also made it to the final four after ending Malaysia's hopes of a first ever semi-final appearance with an easy3-0 victory.
Malaysia, who had stunned the Indonesians to win the SEA Games gold last December, were expected to give a tougher fight but wilted under pressure.
Adriyanti Firdasari easily defeated Wong Mew Choo 21-9, 21-16 to give Indonesia the lead and once Greysia Polii-Meilani Jauhari sneaked passed Wong Pei Tty- Chian Eei Hui 26-24, 21-18 there was no doubting an Indonesian victory. Maria Kristin Yulianti sealed the tie after beating a gutsy Tee Jing Yee 21-19, 21- 16.

0 comments:

Post a Comment